Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bats and Breads...

Levi is up to his elbows in "masa" - dough
Believe it or not, it got pretty chilly last night - Levi hogged the blanket, so I covered myself with my sweater.Yesterday morning Levi and I got ingredients for pizza. Today was a busy day! This morning, I got up around 7 and joined Papito on his walk. By the time we got back to the house after a half hour, Levi and Mama were already elbow deep in dough. We made 3 pizzas and then Ma made 2 pans of sweet rolls. Levi had orders from 8 people, but sold all 16 slices from the first two pizzas, and may sell the other 7 (I had to try a slice - ground beef with bits of ham and red pepper - and stuffed crust- esquisito!)tonight. Someone from the health department came by to check on mosquito breeding grounds - dengue is a dangerous possibility, so she made sure there was no standing water on the property. We have a mosquetero at night, and while I did bring repellent, the skeeters here don't seem to like foreign food. Plus there are cute little lizards, toads, and bats to eat the bugs. One bat fumbled into the house the other night and seemed desparate to get out - poor thing landed exhausted for a moment on top of one of the pots on the stove. But then it found its way out via the back where it wasn't roofed. But I can JUST IMAGINE some readers, not JUST females, shrieking about it.
Well, I'm here at the internet to do a search for a pastor that Levi knew in Iquitos - anyone who can help us hook up to Robert Schadler of Benton Harbor, Michigan, 'twould be appreciated. He'd been very encouraging to Levi and had spoken to him of coming to the States, ministering in music, but circumstances didn't allow at the time. Levi gave his "manchita" Foreman a call to see if he knew the pastor's last name, because, Levi didn't remember it. With internet, I am confident they'll re-connect. Trouble right now is slow connections!
The fishmonger was by this morning with Corbina, a kind of bass - we got 2 kilos for 20 soles. Do the math - that's about 4.5 pounds of fresh fish for 8 bucks. Ma fried some up for lunch. Oh, so delicious!
Tomorrow I have to have Ma show me her technique for washing clothes. Josue bought her a washing machine to give some relief to her arthritic hands, but as yet it isn't hooked up. She's been so sweet, washing my stuff, but I really don't want to burden her! Well, I'm still waiting to see if I can get a phone number here...all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment