Monday, July 18, 2016

June 30

Around 10 Sabi and I were to be picked up to go visit folks I met at conference -Reina and family - in Los Olivos. I also called the translator to see if a rush could be put on my papers because I have to take them to the dept. of exterior relations, and I want thiings to be done BEFORE my flight to Pucallpa! Pray for the paperwork to be expedited - I don't want to have to change my flight!
Reina was later than expected due to traffic. She arrived around 11:30 and we took a motokar to the Metro, Lima's elevated train which runs North-South. Took it to Miguel Grau and then a taxi to Los Olivos. Sabi and I were surprised when she led us to a Catholic school, where I was invited to share about my faith and experiences. They seemed to be from kindergarten to maybe 6th grade. Some came up and wished us a good afternoon with a little peck on the cheek. Three boys, obvious friends, were in front all giggly, poking each other, hugging each other. I shared about how I came to the Lord, and some of the things He's brought me through; and from Ps. 139 and Eph. 2:10 about how special each of THEM is.Then there was time for questions - stretched out by many giggles - questions ranged from wondering my age, to whether we'd sin any more once we got to heaven, to how can we have a closer walk with God. We finished after about an hour, then walked to Reina's mom's house where we served a delicious lunch with a couple of teachers and family members.Reina served us a yummy cake for dessert. I had GOOOOD exercise as we walked and walked and walked to where we could get a cab or motokar back to the Metro; more exercise as I trundled up the stairs to the platform. Reina paid our way back and slipped an offering in my hand and we were on our way back to Villa el Salvador. I'm glad I brought the cane, as it made the stairs a little easier and guaranteed me a seat on the train. Since we'd had such a late lunch, we weren't hungry, but I gave Sabi the offering and some more to get us pollo a la braza for dinner after the service. I was so tired after all the physical exertion that I lay down and even dozed during the service. But I came out in time to greet folks, and a brother Lorenzo spent some time talking with me afterwards. Shy, soft-spoken, but he said whenever I come it inspires him to press on more. He was asking about where I lived, since his daughter had spent some time studying in the states "where it's always cold, with ice" (so I guessed Alaska but it turned out to be Minnesota!) I turned on the computer and put up google maps and showed him around a little. He enjoyed the virtual travel!
Anyway, Sabi got our chicken so I went upstairs and we enjoyed it. Moises tried the Heinz ketchup we got at Tottus the other day, and he pronounced it "rico." And here I am. Pray I can get a phone call through to Levi so he knows I haven't forgotten about him! Pray also for those papers to get processed in time!

You can kinda see me between Sabina and Reina

Good food and good company - some of the teachers along with Reina and her Mom

Reina cuts the cake

No comments:

Post a Comment